Skip to main content

Restitution FAQs

The District Attorney’s Restitution Specialists will help you file a restitution order. A ‘Statement of Loss Questionnaire’, designed to help you organize and keep track of your losses is available online or we can send one to you. Please see our ‘Helpful Tips’ section below for more suggestions.

Restitution can reimburse you for common crime-related expenses, such as medical and counseling bills, lost wages or any time you were out of work due to crime-related injuries, and property damage. For more information, please contact one of our Restitution Specialists at [email protected] or (408) 792–2599.

Yes. If a juvenile is the offender, the minor and their parents can be ordered to pay for restitution.

The California Victim Compensation Program (CalVCP), can help you pay for crime-related expenses. We recommended you submit a restitution order, along with a CalVCP claim, to ensure you receive the highest amount of reimbursement for your expenses. For more information about CalVCP, please call our Victim Services Unit at [email protected] or (408) 295-2656.

If an offender is ordered to pay restitution, they can request a Restitution Hearing to review the expenses. During this hearing, which is held in court before a judge, the prosecutor will present documentation, such as receipts or insurance records, to justify the amount of the restitution order. If you are subpoenaed to testify at this hearing, you have the right to request a Victim Advocate accompany you during your court appearance.

There are many factors that can affect the timing of restitution payments, including whether or not the offender is sentenced to local jail or prison. Please contact the Victim Services Unit at (408) 295-2656 or email [email protected], or you can contact Restitution Unit at (408) 792-2599 or email [email protected] for more information.

Helpful tips

  • Create a log and file folder to organize and keep track of your receipts. Be sure to keep a running tally of your costs to ensure you receive all of the reimbursement you are entitled.
  • If you get an estimate to repair damage to your property, please collect two or three estimates before deciding on a particular provider. Be sure to submit the final bill and all estimates to the District Attorney’s Office.
  • When you submit receipts and expenses to the District Attorney’s Office, keep a copy for your records.
  • If your address or phone number changes, please let the District Attorney’s Office know so we can update your records.
  • Be sure to keep copies of all restitution payments received.