Skip to main content

Consumer FAQs

A consumer complaint form must be completed and submitted to the Consumer Mediation Services Unit.  The form is available on the DA’s Consumer Protection Unit webpage or by calling (408) 792-2880 to obtain a copy by mail.  The completed form can be submitted online or by mailing to:

Consumer Mediation Services Unit
Office of the District Attorney
70 West Hedding Street, 4th Floor
San Jose, CA  95110

For information regarding Small Claims Court, you may check the Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara Self-Help Small Claims webpage or call a small claims advisor at (408) 882-2100 (press 2, then 6), Monday-Friday, between 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Since there are time requirements that apply to such matters, you should do so as soon as possible.

In situations where you have become victim to a scam, our Office recommends that you report the incident to your local law enforcement agency.  Even when you are not a victim, you should report all scams to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at (877) 382-4357 and the Attorney General's Office at (800) 952-5225. These government agencies both accept complaints regarding scams.

If there was any personal or financial information that was shared with the scammer(s), we suggest you contact all three credit bureaus to place a freeze on your credit reports and prevent the scammer(s) from opening fraudulent credit accounts in your name.

(800) 685-1111

(888) EXPERIAN (888-397-3742)

(888) 909-8872

The California State Licensing Board (CSLB) regulates all licensed and unlicensed contractors in California. You can contact the CSLB at (800) 321-2752 or file a complaint on their website.

All complaints that involve an auto repair shop should be filed with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) which is the regulatory agency.  You can contact them at (800) 952-5210 or file a complaint using their website.

Dealerships in California are licensed and regulated by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).  They have an investigation department that can help you try and address your complaint. 

You can contact the Santa Clara County Investigations Division District Office at (408) 942-2952 or file a complaint using their website.

Unfortunately, our Office does not mediate landlord-tenant disputes.  We do, however, provide referrals to outside agencies that specialize in these types of complaints and who can offer further assistance.  Please refer to the below table of agency programs to select correct contact information based on your city of residence.

CityAgency programContact number



Campbell Rent Mediation(408) 243-8565



Project Sentinel(408) 720-9888



Project Sentinel(408) 842-7740

Los Altos

Los Altos Hills

Los Altos Mediation Program(650) 949-5267
Los GatosLos Gatos Rental Dispute Program(408) 402-0307



Project Sentinel(408) 946-6582
Morgan HillProject Sentinel

(408) 842-7740/

(408) 465-2330

Mountain ViewMountain View Mediation Services(650) 960-0495
Palo AltoPalo Alto Mediation Program(650) 856-4062
San Jose

Bay Area Legal Aid

Rental Rights and Referrals

(800) 551-5554

(408) 975-4480

Santa ClaraProject Sentinel

(408) 720-9888


SunnyvaleProject Sentinel

(408) 720-9888


Unincorporated Santa Clara CountyProject Sentinel(408) 842-7740

Unfortunately, the Office does not investigate complaints in which someone is seeking a private or personal remedy, does not represent individual complainants, and does not offer legal advice

We suggest you consult with a private attorney who can answer legal questions, offer legal advice and advocate on your behalf.  To schedule a free consultation with a local private attorney, please contact the Santa Clara County Bar Association at (408) 971-6822.  You can also get your legal questions answered and obtain free legal advice from the Lawyers in the Library program at (408) 808-2382.

For the latest information on how to stop unwanted robocalls and texts, please visit the Federal Communications Commission’s website.

It can be scary, infuriating, and confusing when you are a victim of fraud. We appreciate the seriousness of your situation. The appropriate agency to report all criminal activity is your local law enforcement agency.  They will investigate credible criminal complaints requiring further examination. 

The agency will also determine whether charges will be filed and turned over to the DA’s Office for prosecution.  In most instances, only then will the DA’s Office get involved.

Online fraud should also be reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).