Skip to main content


As the victim of a violent crime, you may have expenses, such as medical, counseling or funeral and burial bills. CalVCP can help reimburse you or pay for many types of crime-related expenses that might not be covered by other sources. 

To be eligible for CalVCP, you must be a victim of a qualifying crime, such as:

  • Assault and battery
  • Burglary (when victim is at home)
  • Child abuse and sexual assault
  • Domestic violence
  • Driving under the influence
  • Hit and run
  • Vehicular manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Robbery
  • Human Trafficking
  • Sexual assault

Your Victim Advocate can help you prepare and submit your application. 

Yes. Immediate family members, such as children, siblings, parents and grandparents, are also eligible to receive assistance, such as compensation for counseling expenses.

Yes. An application can be filed within 3 years of the crime or 3 years after a minor victim turns 18. Under certain circumstances, we might also be able to accept applications filed after this time period. Please contact your Victim Advocate for more information.  

If the ability to pay a crime-related bill creates a significant financial hardship for you or your family, you can request an emergency award. Each request for an emergency award is evaluated on a case by case basis to determine the need for immediate payment. Emergency awards are most often obtained to cover relocation or funeral/burial expenses.

CalVCP can only reimburse qualified expenses that have not or will not be paid by any other source such as health insurance, workers’ compensation, MediCal, or other benefits.  By law, the CalVCP is the "payer of last resort”. Any other sources of reimbursement are, they must be used before CalVCP payment can be made. Other reimbursement sources may include:

  • Medical/health, dental, or vision insurance
  • Public program benefits (MediCal, Unemployment insurance, etc.)
  • Auto insurance
  • Workers' compensation benefits
  • Civil lawsuit recoveries